Monday, July 7, 2014

Selfish, Irresponsible, Impulsive, Lying, Thieving....

I have found, just like anyone who pays attention, that if someone lacks a major virtue, they're short on all the rest. For example, contrary to the mythology of the Manosphere, every PUA I've know has been a coward.

I used to work for a guy who was caught getting a BJ on company property. He was cheating on his wife. He was also arrogant and incompetent - and didn't know he was incompetent! It took three or four years for upper management to lateral him out of state. He was arrogant, not very bright, dishonest, disloyal, a cheat, and a backstabber. No surprise there.

When I was 11 years old I had a friend, Sammy. I doubt we were friends six months before things blew up.

I found Sammy was a thief. An impulsive thief. He'd shoplift tiny items out of stores.

I lived in a farmhouse across from a modern suburb (it was the best place I ever lived). Behind this farmhouse were several old barns.

One day Sammy came over and we were setting off firecrackers outside one barn, which was filled with dried straw and a straw bale.

Sammy went inside, threw a baby jar full of rubbing alcohol on the straw, then threw a lit march on it. Whoosh.

I ran inside and began to stomp on the fire and turned the straw bale over and bounced it up and down. Had I been older and stronger, I would have gotten the fire out. If Sammy had helped me, we could have gotten it out. When I ran outside the barn, I saw Sammy flying through people's yards, heading home. I was stunned. He sets a fire, then makes no attempt to put it out and runs away.

The barn and the buildings around burned to the ground, including the outhouse.

He told his parents I set the fire. We were never friends after that.

Sammy was selfish, impulsive, stupid, a liar, and a thief. As has been noticed for thousands of years, if you lack one virtue, you lack in all of them.

Years later Sammy died of alcoholism. I wasn't surprised at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doth thou protest too much......Just say'in.

Unknown said...

Meaning what?

Anonymous said...

Meaning your protest are getting receptive, predictive and suspicious.

Anonymous said...

Damn spellcheck..."repetitive" Sorry

Unknown said...

I have to repeat things for simple-minded.